What is Fluoride?
The Controversy Around Fluoride
If fluoride is so dangerous and toxic, why would anyone choose to expose us to it?
Why do some authorities maintain that fluoride is good?
Fluoride in Dental Care
What does fluoride in my mouthwash or toothpaste do?
Are there any natural ways to help protect tooth enamel that don’t involve fluoride?
Fluoride in Public Water
Countries that Fluoridate their Water Supply
Learn About Your Local Water
In a nutshell: should you go with fluoride or fluoride-free dental products?
In all honesty, I would say that it’s smart to be concerned about fluoride exposure, because there are real risks at play, and I don’t want to minimize them. That said, I think it’s important to not let panic or simple uninformed fear dictate your decisions.
There is evidence that demonstrates that excessive fluoride exposure can be detrimental to the human the nervous system. There is also evidence that supports that regulated use within a certain range is not just safe, but also immensely beneficial for your dental health.
I’ve tried to give you the basics, but it’s ultimately up to you to do research to help you make an informed decision for your own life. My genetics, diet, past health, location, and everything else in my life present different circumstances for me than yours do for you. These differences may result in different needs when it comes to dental hygiene and/or concerns about fluoride exposure.
Feel free to use the following links to jump-start your own foray into learning more about fluoride.
- Achievements in Public Health, 1900-1999: Fluoridation of Drinking Water to Prevent Dental Caries, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Advocating for the Public: Fluoride and Fluoridation, American Dental Association (ADA)
- Common Cancer Myths and Misconceptions: Fluoridated Water, National Cancer Institute
- The Debate Over Fluoridated Water, Campaign for Dental Health
- Developmental Fluoride Neurotoxicity: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis, Environmental Health Perspectives
- Fluoride: A review of pre-clinical and clinical studies,
Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology
- Fluoride in Drinking Water Cuts Tooth Decay in Adults, The University of Adelaide
- Fluoride: Potential Developmental Neurotoxicity
- Fluoride Wars, Bite Magazine
- Is Fluoridated Drinking Water Safe?, Harvard Health Magazine
- Reduced Adhesion of Oral Bacteria on Hydroxyapatite by Fluoride Treatment, Langmuir
- Review of Fluoride: Benefits and Risks, United States Department of Health and Human Services
- Toxicity of fluoride to aquatic species and evaluation of toxicity modifying factors, Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Water fluoridation: what does the rest of the world think?, The Guardian
- What is the Burden of Oral Disease?, World Health Organization
- With 60 Years of Data and 3000 Studies, Australia Declares Fluoride ‘Completely Safe’, Futurism
- Yet more evidence about the magic of fluoride, Canada.com